2005-11-16

Hey Winnipeg, Let's Stay Home

Waking up ten minutes before I had to leave for work, hearing the wind blowing against my window, I strained myself trying to think of a half decent reason for staying home. There had to be something to do with the snow that could keep me from leaving to house or making it to work. True, the roads are the worse than they've ever been, but that doesn't stop most people. In the end, it was the need for economic income that got me out of bed with five minutes to get ready.

Of course, since we just got hit by the shock blizzard of the century, it was decided that I would be thrown out of the factory and into the yard where there was much wet and heavy snow to be shovelled. I feel exhausted the way I felt exhausted at the lodge when I devoted an entire day to chopping firewood. Beat up.

Most cities shut down when weather like this occurs. If we were Toronto, we'd call in the army. But for some reason, perhaps since large snowfalls aren't so out of the ordinary around here, Winnipeg just keeps on going full speed. I really think the city itself should just call a snow day and have everybody stay home, if only for the reason that is it unsafe to drive and people are too stupid and in too much of a hurry because they're already late to drive carefully. I found it quite amusing when I saw three cars, one after the other, in the ditch yesterday, all apparantly trying to make the same turn. We should all just stay home and watch movies.

Going to Ottawa next weekend.

6 Books were burned:

Blogger b said...

you could always move down here to the southern united states, where just even the threat of a few inches of snow calls off school and any actual accumulation of more than an a few inches renders towns virtually helpless. tennessee functions fairly well in snowy conditions, but just a few hours more to the south in birmingham, alabama where i am originally from, just a dusting of snow justifies calling everything off and staying in.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Orus said...

Actually, in 1986, Winnipeg did shut down. The entire city.

12:32 AM  
Blogger One of the many said...

A blizzard? If any snow actually sticks down here its a 95% chance that school is closed. If you do go to school, you're going home early! And the reason for that is mostly the teacher say they can't drive. But the most snow we ever have is a foot maybe 2. But thats bizzare to us if it happens.

8:55 AM  
Blogger James said...

My boss was talking about the '86 storm. It hit in early November and he says it was far worse than what we just got.

But still.

6:23 PM  
Blogger David! said...

Last year, new years, we had at least 3 1/2 feet of snow.
At least.
But my dad still drove me to the new years party where good things happened.

Brett knows.

2:33 AM  
Blogger Orus said...

Seems as though New Years last year was a great one for the both of us.

5:23 PM  

Throw one on the pile

<< Home